Before being a trailblazing commercial airline pilot, Tweet Coleman had careers as a nurse and as a broadcaster. But she became one of the first women to make piloting an airplane her profession. Since then, she’s made her mark in the aviation industry and among her fellow pilots, making history as part of the first all-female flight crew to fly a Boeing 727.
She’s written an autobiography about her career in aviation, Take Your Life Off Autopilot: Live with Purpose, Passion, and Power, and is now a senior representative for the Federal Aviation Administration.
AAUW Honolulu is honored to have Tweet as a member, and she’s graciously endowed us with the Tweet Coleman Aviation Scholarship, offered yearly, for women seeking to earn a FAA Pilot Certificate.
Applications open March 1 to May 1, 2021
- Be a resident of the State of Hawaii.
- Must be seeking an FAA Pilot Certificate.
- Have a graduate or undergraduate degree or be studying at an accredited college or university.
- Submit an official transcript from your current college or university and each of the colleges and/or universities you have attended.
- Submit two (2) letters of recommendation from non-family members, each letter must include the name and contact information for the reference.
- The award will be sent directly to the flight school to cover aviation study manuals, ground schooling and flight training.