The American Association of University Women (AAUW) Honolulu Branch is holding Tech Savvy, a STEM conference for middle school girls, April 22, 8:30 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. at Hawaii Pacific University, Hawaii Loa Campus. Tech Savvy consists of STEM workshops, Savvy Skills workshops (soft skills such as communication, understanding social media, public speaking), and College Savvy (a mini-college fair geared at girls just starting to explore college options).
There are concurrent sessions for parents to attend. We need volunteers to help the day of the conference. Volunteers can either help for the morning, afternoon or both portions of the day. See below for task descriptions. Please contact Lena Gan if you are able to help with any of these volunteer tasks or would like more information.
- Morning Registration: sign in adults and children for the day, provide name tags and tote bags
- Meal Assistance: set up, serve and clean up for breakfast, lunch and snacks
- Room Guides: lead groups of girls and adults from room to room within a building or across campus; be posted in strategic locations to give attendees directions
- Room Set-Up: Go from room to room before each session begins to ensure that all presenters have what they need
- Workshop Assistance: check-in with speakers during their workshops to see if they need any assistance with materials, A/V or general information
- Speaker Hosting: assist presenters with handouts; check badges at door to ensure girls are at right session; alert presenter at 5 minute mark to begin to wrap up
- Floater: general assistance for presenters/College Savvy representatives
- Evaluation: hand out/collect pre-event evaluation forms before breakfast; hand out/collect post-event evaluation forms during the closing session